Local friend and builder Merv Nichol has embarked on a new project and agreed to document and photo journal every step as the project progresses.
As each new step is undertaken, the prior ‘chapters’ are moved to sub sections off this projects menu.
Here is the most current update.
The next major project I’m going to tackle is the replacement of the top and inner door sills on both sides of the car. The main concern is to retain the structural integrity and alignment of the door openings and keep them square. To do this I made a 2 x 4 I beam and using screw jacks was able to support both the “A” and “B” pillars. Then using some “J” hooks and nylon straps I tensioned support for the weight of the roof. I am not lifting the car with these straps, merely supporting weight, trying to eliminate shifting when I cut the sills. If you do not take this step, you will need extensive cross bracing across the door opening, and across the car from side to side to stabalize the structure. More often than not, 1″ square tubing is on hand for bracing. But, I had adequate material on hand and used it. So I tack welded a length of 1″ angle iron diagonally across the door opening. With these measures in place I cut away the upper and inner door sills.
Everything stayed in place.
Onward with the repair.
More coming soon..