The First Cut
Once again, TMR came through, and I was able to borrow a plasma cutter, screw jacks, jack stands and numerous other odds and sods for the project.. I did some practicing with the plasma cutter on different thicknesses of metal to get to know the machine and just what it would do. I decided that I would tackle the Cutlass first and as you can see was successful in getting the front end cut off. The plasma cutter is a great machine. It makes fast work of a difficult task. The first cut has been made and there is no turning back now.
The Second Cut
Now that I had been successful in cutting off the Cutlass front end , it was time to move on to the Chevy. With the cut line clearly marked and with plasma cutter in hand I started in. In a matter of minutes, the cuts were made and as you can see the front end was separated from the frame. Now both front ends were cut from their respective frames.
I then switched the front ends , the 78 Cutlass in front of the 58 Chevy and vise-versa.
Now, I will have to spend time cleaning this unit in preparation for the mating.
Out with the Cutlass
I lined up the now removed front end of the 58 Chevy to the frame of the Cutlass and welded them together. This was far from exact as I merely wanted to have a movable chassis and put the unit outside and move the 51 Chevy truck back into the garage.