Auto Events, Shop Projects,Car Builds, Product & Equipment Reviews
Result of leaking Acetylene bottle stored in plumbers van. 22-10-09.
Accidently ignited by activating a remote door lock device.
1. Ensure you are fully trained or properly supervised.
2. Under NO circumstances should any attempt be made to repair a cylinder or valve
3. Compressed gas cylinders must always be stored secured upright with their caps on.
4. Gas cylinders MUST be secured at all times to prevent tipping.
5. Cylinders should be placed with the valve accessible at all times
6. Compressed gases must not be used in unventilated areas.
7. Never used oil or grease on the regulator of a cylinder valve.
8. Compressed gas cylinders must not be stored or used in close proximity to an ignition source or heat source.
9. The transporting of compressed gas cylinders must be done in accordance with the Transportation of Dangerous Goods regulations
10. Always use an approved manufacturers regulator for each type of compressed gas.
11. Never use compressed gases for anything other than what they are intended for.
12. When opening a cylinder valve, open the valve slowly. Point the valve opening away from yourself and other persons. Never use a wrench or hammer to open or close a hand wheel-type cylinder valve. If the valve is frozen and cannot be operated by hand, return the cylinder to the gas vendor.
13. Do not attempt to remove a stuck cylinder cap by using a lever in the cap ports. The lever may accidentally open the valve when the cap turns
14. Never completely empty a gas cylinder, rather discontinue use of the cylinder when it has at least 25 psi remaining. Mark “MT” on the cylinder. Verify that the valve is closed and secure the cylinder valve protective cap and outlet cap or plug, if used.