Part 06 – Body Panels


Before mounting the doors, I decided to clean them up and do what ever repairs needed to be done. The bottom of the driver’s door was not in great shape so I had to replace the whole bottom section.

So old metal was cut out , new metal fabricated and welded in place.  Looks pretty good. Then the doors had to be stripped down to bare metal.
This is a fairly time consuming task but well worth the effort as you can see.  The advantage of taking everything down to bare metal is that then you can see exactly what you are dealing with and repair what must be done. A lot of problems can be hidden by paint or primer.

P1040106 P1040105 P1040092  P1040107


P1040110 P1040109 P1040114  P1040116

I was fortunate to find some composite rubber material at Home Depot of all places.   It is a remanufactured product that is 3mm thick , flexible, tough and does not tear.   I made a pattern for both the driver and passenger inner front fenders.   Cutting this material is a little difficult but the end result was worth the effort. Here’s the final result after the interior and underbody areas were painted and the splash skirts installed.  Looks like factory.

  P1040668 P1040667




Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter
  • Category Activity

  • New Posts